CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
The A008Rs became a rock which is why we were all doing stupid stuff like Formula-V. Polymers, plastics and elastomers have come a long way since those days. Your grocery shelves are proof of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Given the A008-R is 25 years old, I doubt we can draw *any* conclusions about compounding on the new AD-08R. Profound advancements have been made since that time of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
http://importbible.com/2013/03/28/te...d08r-with-hks/

Looks like the AD08R's are about 2 seconds faster than the old on a 60 second lap ( Yokohama's drivers).

That is about the delta ( or maybe bigger) than between the current AD-08 and the NT-01 I think. interesting.
Agreed that we cannot draw any conclusions yet on the AD08R . Can't wait for some testing and reviews.

However thread compounds are always some sort of compromise. Take modern Hoosiers for example, they grip like hell but are not known for good resistance to heat cycling. IMO, the old A008R was designed more towards ultimate grip and less to heat cycling resistance, whereas the old RA1 had less grip but resisted much better to heat cycling. The NT01 apparently is using a very similar (not to say the same) compound as the 20 year old RA1. I do agree that technology advancements can allow for less compromises.

Further, IMO, anyone using NT01s to get ultimate lap time are kidding themselves. I find the NT01 is a very good compromise between cost, decent grip, at limit predictability, decent wear and excellent heat cycling resistance. An excellent tire choice for HPDE and the lapping hobbyist. For ultimate lap times, there are better options than the NT01.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-03-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0