View Single Post
      08-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMFAN27 View Post
I think leasing right now is the way to go over buying new most of the time. However, with some brands that don't really have any lease incentives it is not true. With some Porsches (at least in my experience) the cost to buy vs lease is so slim that you might as well own the car. With BMW you get the free maintenance (its not much, but something), you get the knowledge that any minor car door dings etc is covered under your lease, and like someone brought up if an accident happens the CarFax no longer is the big boogie man waiting to get you. Finally, I do not know 100% if this is true, but it would seem when BMW changes their models like they just did in the 5 series that if you owned the car a greater depreciation would hit than if you just leased since many are not going to want the "old version." I could be wrong this is just my personal hunch.
All valid points, but remember that what the dealer/company is willing to put on the table in terms of lease incentives is just that an incentive, and if you're willing to bargain hard that's usually available on the purchase side as well. Leasing makes dealers more money then they lose, primarily because it's easier to obfuscate the true costs in a lease situation. If you take the time to study up though it's rarely anything more than a few bucks either side of a wash.
You are also right about diminished value, but you can sometimes have a battle on your hands during a lease turn-in, so again, fairly much a wash.
Appreciate 0