swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 21st View Post
Swamp,

do i remember you posting a comparison of bhp / weight of the E46 M3 csl v the E92 M3 and that the E92 M3 had a better ratio?

If this is the case, with R compound tyres the E92 should be sub 7.50. Simplistic i know but logical.

So, if there is some correlation between cars with and without R compound tyres, we may have another insight to the time by applying this equation to the sub 7.50 time.
I give it a stab...

E46 M3 CSL is 3050/360 = 8.47
E92 M3 is 3649/420 = 8.69

About a 2.5% difference in favor of the CSL. Furthermore the details of the CSL that give it phenomenal lap times are raw weight, suspension and tires. Power to weight is more important for acceleration whereas weight directly impacts handling and quickness in corners and transistions. Next the CSL has a highly and aggressively tuned suspension and big brakes, both help appreciably with track times. Last variable is the tires - it used a form of street legal racing tires. Far stickier than the new Michelins on the new M3. Of all the variables I would guess the tires are the largest contributor to the difference between the two cars laptimes.
Appreciate 0