11-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Cobalt is a very high end and expensive pad - apparently NASCAR uses them?! I used them on my z06, and they were a bit aggressive for me because they required a lot of heat before gripping, and on the street they were noisy and useless because they would never heat up and grip. It took me a couple miles on track to get them up to temp. If you change pads at the track, they are a good choice, but I never had time to do that.. I am not sure what compound I had, unfortunately, but xr1 does sound familiar.

BTW, I am a huge Carbotech fan, ( http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/bmw.html ) The xp10 pads are great for HPDE. I've been through about 5 sets of them and they were perfect and you can wear them right down to the plate so you get full life out of them. They are also very easy on rotors and the brake dust is ceramic-based so its much easier to clean off and will not pit/rust.

I like carbotech as well, and have used them in the past, but want something a bit more street friendly. The car sees about 50/50 street to track time, but sounds like Cobalt may not have anything that fits this either.
Appreciate 0