04-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #25
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
With all those cylinders and pistons scuffed and the broken piston it looks like detonation to me. Poor balance would produce a serious vibration but not the scuffing or damaged piston. The sudden increase in oil consumption resulted from the cylinder pressure (boost) going into the oil sump once the piston broke and the top ring could not seal properly. The misfire could have been from the broken ring land. Detonation will also damage the bearings.
From what I know, they did a compression test on my engine and the results showed a slight under compression on the right side of the bank. However, within tolerance it seems from what I was told. I know a few people inside the BMW workshop here and from what I have been told, they did the compression test when the engine was COLD. It was not done at all when the engine was warm! So I really dont know what the fuck they are up to when they were troubleshooting the engine. Clearly, they do not have the right people to do the work here. Whats even more amusing is that they wanted to tear the engine down here and repair it. How inspiring when they cant even troubleshoot properly! Those were the reasons that led me to send the engine beyond my borders for a full evaluation and rebuild because I know too many things would be covered up and manipulated if I left it to them to sort it out. Not to mention a fat bill after that with no assurance that it will work fine. Cause to me, a repair of the engine is not sufficient especially after such damage. I would go for nothing less but a new motor or in this instance, a full and proper rebuild.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0