View Single Post
      07-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
... I guess, the perk to negotiating at the time of delivery, would be if market trends and demand are decreasing and the advantage is on the buyers side...
Unless someone has moral standards that for some reason preclude this, I don't see why someone couldn't follow your model, and still attempt to renegotiate if the market heads south at the time of pickup. Doing so gives you two shots at the best available price, whereas waiting only gives you one opportunity, if the market goes down, and the chance of getting shafted if a car gets hot while you are waiting. (I almost had that happen back in '97 when Car & Driver did a stunning write-up of the A4, after the Audi marque was nearly dead in America, two weeks before my car arrived at the dealer. The dealer told me, that I was "being given a gift in having the option to pay M.S.R.P." for the car, as they could sell the car within a few hours for more than that. I did a stellar job of configuring the car , so they were right.) I worked at a dealership in high school, and have seen some shady practices. I wouldn't hesitate to attempt a renegotiation, even for a second, if the market went south. If it makes you feel any better, most of their profit is from Service so you won't have much of an impact on their bottom line if you manage to pinch an extra few grand.
Appreciate 0