View Single Post
      10-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
Phil G
Dominator of Deep South curvy roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

I would love to see a match between Bama and Penn State, just like the old days. The only difference between the 2008 BCS Championship game and the 1979 Sugar Bowl (the 1978 National Championship game) would be that Joe Paterno would be facing Nick Saban rather than Bear Bryant (besides the obvious fact the game would be of course the game being played in the Orange Bowl in Miami rather than Superdome in New Orleans).

In the 1978 NC, the Bear and the Crimson Tide pulled out a 14-7 victory for national championship #10 of 12 by shutting Penn State out of the endzone in a goal line stand at 4th and 1 when the Nittany Lions tried to get a TD to tie or go ahead. Plenty of videos of that famous play on YouTube, my dad was there as a recent Bama alum as well and said the jumbotron at the Superdome just happened to start working for that play after being out of commision the whole game, haha. Hopefully with our current team's increasingly strong focus even still improving mental and physical fundamentals, we'll have the same result.

I will say though, even as a diehard Bama fan, I've got a lot of respect for JoePa. Although the Bear will always be #1 in my book, JoePa's a great man and successful coach who has strived to build his players both on and off the field for over a half century! Watching videos of him still yelling at players and getting them psyched up at age 82 just amazes me!! I think an era of college football will end when he dies (because I think he'll die before he ever retires, he's still got it in him!)

Hope to see you in Miami in January, Penn State! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
-'07 335i coupe (build date 02/2007) - Space Grey/Black Dakota/Dark Burl - 6MT/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/Heated Seats. Acquired in Munich 3/2007 via European Delivery. 16 years and almost 220k miles of pure joy!
-'06 911 Carrera S - Black/Black - Full Leather/Sport Chrono/Porsche Sport Exhaust/Nav - 80k miles. Acquired 1/2021. One needy old German car just wasn't enough!
Appreciate 0