03-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #1198
0.02eurocents
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo 159 SW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-Net-Automotive View Post
In the car business on the other hand, haggling seems to be the birthright of every consumer out there. Customers want to beat you up, want to steal the car, and they will flat out tell you they don't want you to make a profit off of them! That is not fair!
Stomps foot. Not fair. Dude, it is so obvious you are in the trade, and it is getting to your bones. Go find another line of work before your doctor has to prescribe you Prozac. I can totally see how customers can get worked up into threating rearranging your facial components, considering the arrogance that is displayed in the actions and the behavior of the (or some) Husker employees. Go, read THE WHOLE THREAD and you will begin to grasp WHY exactly that is the case.

The jewelry comparison is moot though. Not everyone NEEDS jewelry, but pretty much anyone and their dogs need a job. If you have someone that has bought, say 5 cars already in his lifetime, you statistically have some that has been bullshitted or worse burned and frauded by a car dealer. Do you really blame him for extending his distrust you, the car dealer he has to deal with now? A jeweller that pulls stunts like these, because in such an exclusive business trust is everything.

Quote:
Consumers enjoy this game, and thrive when they feel they are getting a good deal and giving it to the dealer! Consumers made dealers what they are, they have no respect for car salesmen and they are vocal about it.
Yeah. I think that is about right. However, it works both ways. Dealers make consumers what they are AND vice versa. And you are not "the guy who sells some cars at XYZ". You are prolly living off a shitty fixed and then the bonuses you get for each closed deal. So, please don't tell me salespeople don't have very selfish interests in selling a car too. Would you want to sell a nice, honest, easy going customer the best value deal on the lot just because you kinda like that guy? Bullshit, once you know the limits that guy mas financially you'd sell him a lemon at slightly above his limit to raise your bonus. That is the way the market works. Ideally, in a sale both leave the office thinking they made a good deal. To have a customer feel like that you have to discount a bit. To account for that discount the cars are valued over the actual price in the first place. Now, this tactic is being pushed to the limits, by the customers demanding credit (rightly so, because the car is not worth it) and by the dealership (rightly so, the boss needs a new set of golf clubs and the salesperson needs to eat).

Quote:
A car is a depreciating asset, a house isn't. A realtor is respected a car salesman isn't. Interesting!
Dude, WTF? They have newspapers in Nebraska, don't they? Have you heard the terms housing bubble, foreclosure, Bear Stearns, recession lately by chance?

Quote:
The dealer in this case does not want to lose money, I think the dealer should have his own blog and state his side of the story!
Yeah that would be awesome. He'd essentialy be confessioning to a a few really fould moves and outright criminal behaviour. I'd read it, and if so desired post it to reddit too so he can enjoy half a million hits from around the world. Although the "confessions of a car salespersonW posted there recently pretty much summed the general set of ethics up quite well.
Appreciate 0