09-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #24
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
New bearings were introduced in 10/08, meaning some early '09s have the old bearings. But forget about that man; learned one '10 and another '11 M3s have the typical bad bearing engine noise on a recent thread. That's freaking unbelievable.

I also question the use of 10/60 oil for all climates. Both Ferrari and Lamborghini, with even higher strung engines, with higher specific outputs and higher redlines, spec 5/40 oil, just like all Porsches (and most sportbikes). TWS is like molasses, especially in cold climates. My only explanation is crappy tolerances. But why BMW didn't make it 5/60 is even more puzzling. Lamborghini recommends 20/50 (most owners use M1 15/50) for track use, and up to 0/30 (most owners use 5/40) for cold climates. Would love to hear BMW's technical explanation for that oil, rather than their marketing crap. I'm going to keep using it because with crappy tolerances you need it, or risk bearing damage, like it happened to S54s, but there's no need for such an extreme grade, proven by all other exotic engine manufacturers using 5/40. Take care.
Absolutely agree. The oil is much too thick! But for Singapore weather, I think its safe we run thicker oils due to the heat. Only problem recently was the oil service interval was changed from 25,000km to 15,000km because many non-M engines came back with sludge build up. I shudder to think why anyone would wait 25,000km to change oil on their engines. I never believed the service intervals of BMW service in my country and generally had outside workshops do it for me. Heck its not any much difference now without warranty anyway. Hahahah...

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0