12-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #92
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
We shall see. Another reason I dont see them working all of this into a 'base' car is because if they build another CSL/GTS version thats where Im sure they will try to employ all of these things.
I just find it difficult to believe weight will go down knowing that all other cars have still gotten bigger, and the 3 series is likely to follow suit getting larger in all dimensions.
The hints at more hardcore production versions of the M3 are great indeed. Those cars will certainly have more power and less weight than the regular M3 model. Sure it is sometimes hard to imagine where the weight will come from but no matter what the cost and what weight a car is at, a production car always has some wiggle room on weight, be it an M3, future generation M3, M3 CSL, whatever. With a model like the CSL obvious ideas are full rear seat removal and further NVH package reductions since more noise is acceptable in such a car. CC brakes is another good guess and at the likely price of a CSL those are entirely within such a hypothetical cars budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
As far as budget for the F30, whos to say the budget has gotten bigger? Its known they are looking to cut costs, which is why they are using engines already employed in other non M cars...so I would tend to believe the budget was smaller rather than bigger.
I was not commenting on the relative size of any 3er nor M3 budget in particular. I was simply pointing out that the weight management efforts in the M3 were not tremendous, they had a weight target and cost target and likely met both.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0