10-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Do you guys catch a lot of grief for having a base M3? I just picked up an '11 AW Coupe with literally no options - no EDC, DCT, M-Drive (it is a pre-Sep production) and from reading through this and other forums, it seems that it is almost frowned upon to have an M3 as such. I can't get enough of this car, but some of these people almost have me 2nd guessing my decision, lol.

I came from a pretty much stripped Porche 911, and never found this kind of environment in the Porche community.
I'm going to have to disagree with you somewhat. As a former Porsche owner and visitor to their boards I see some similarities in posting themes with the M3 boards. Especially with the customization available on Porsches I saw many an owner crowing about Sport Chrono or their crested headrest or some trivial interior trim piece that had been painted in exterior color. Is the 'S' vs. 'base' that is a favorite topic over there much different than the base vs. competition package that is much discussed here? Or the cabriolet is not a real 911 argument much different than the e93 is not a real M3?

I will say that the Porsche boards seem more collegial with less angry and mean-spirited postings than the m3 boards. I suspect that's an age of average owner thing.
Appreciate 0