swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I get about 147 MPH, by the way.
Strange, my number via CarTest is 138. That is 2008 LS3 engine only (6MT from existing car) stuffed into the M3.

Quote:
I think the M3 does a little better than expected against the Vette because it has less rotating inertia at lower speeds (see Gillespie), and closer gear spacing at higher speeds.
Wasn't this the argument in favor of the 335i over the M3? The only difference there is the FD, gear ratios are identical. Furthermore if your argument favors the 335i over the M3 it would similarly favor the low rear end ratioed Vetter over the M3.

Quote:
... but it would be a lot better if they hurled the gearset from the Mustang GT500 (the supercharged one) into it. Much more intelligent gear spacing.
By simulation I concur this is correct but the difference is never more than a 1/10th second to any speed up to an including 180 mph. It is also splitting hairs as to whether or not you would want the rear end ratio. Some numbers would be better others worse. Either way definitely not enough of a change to call it "better". Really splitting hairs.

One last detail. I noticed in performing sims of the M3 with the 2008 LS3 engine and transmission that the stock M3 with 6MT bests this hypothetical vehicle up to 500 in time to distance meaning of course it is physically ahead in a race, whereas the hypothetical vehicle takes all of the time to speed contests.
Appreciate 0