urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Lads

I hve done low-friction stuff too but its still no substitute for real tarmac.

For starters throttle modulation to maintain a loss of traction on dry tarmac is completely different to snow (where its easy to provoke a loss of traction).

Then controlling the snap back when/if the rear tyres do regain traction is also completely different. On a dry surface the reaction can be violent, on a low friction surface its less so.

I've been on drift days where guys move from a lubricated skid pad thinking they are drift gods, to regular tarmac where they look like complete novices.
I don't disagree with you, which is why I did say it IS different on tarmac and higher speeds. I just said you have more room for error in snow at slower speeds. And I DO think it's a good way to learn car control in general. You cannot say it is not beneficial - it's simply not true!

Quote:
Urbo

I saw you mentioned about sport mode before on a different thread & I have to completely disagree with you. I think sport on E92 is eactly what the default throttle map should be and I find it easy to control (I would have agreed with you on E46 though).
To each his own I suppose. I don't know the E46. I just know that to me Normal feels best and most linear. Sport is grabby/jumpy up front. Sport+ is downright silly IMO. But some like that too. To each his own. I have not seen any graphs from BMW, though I would love to, but I'm just going on feel. I've always preferred a longer throttle with more room to modulate. Normal mode gives me that. Smooth is king!
Appreciate 0