Scoobe
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
This all sounds like day dreaming.
What I want is a I6 with one small turbo that takes from 2 cylinders and one huge turbo that takes from 4 cylinders. And have massive boost.
I was reading something a while back that talked about multi-turbo set ups and eliminating lag. It said that most dual turbo set ups were for low and mid range boost but typically fell off at high rpm. From what some say, this is a characteristic of the 335i. So a third turbo to boost the high RPM range would ensure boost throughout the powerband. This was talking about turbo V6's btw, forget which motor. Might have been the Ford ecoboost.

Anyway, I think this may be why a triple turbo V6 is in the discussion. Interstingly I think a fully exhaust driven tri turbo is possible on an I6, a V6 would need a different souce for a third tubo.

All this evidence, 3.3L and one electrically driven turbo, is starting to add up to a V6.