View Single Post
      06-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #237
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Once again the usual rules apply if you do not have the vin number of the GTS or indeed the CRT you will not get access to purchase the exclusive accessories for these cars.

You might say that this is a work in progress... There is of course plenty more that can be added but usual marketing applies that it cannot be too exclusive or else no one would buy it.
Of course we are thinking about it for further cars - Such lightweight solutions are being tested on the new M5 cars that are still disguised as an M car prototype always has something else going on which you cannot see.

But this is at the cusp of the programme - CFRP is becoming more cost effective and more available since BMW have built their own facility to mass produce it. So we are at the early stages of what is possible now and a taster to show what can happen in the near future.

In regards to stripped out M3's in North America?
Whilst some might crave the idea of such a car? You are in a minority and unfortunately that minority would not support the costs of federalisation as US BMW customers see the M3 as a Performance luxury vehicle. And no one will give up their luxuries such as power seats etc for such a more lightweight concept.
One such piece of evidence is how over the years a majority of US M3 customers have forgone the CFRP roof for the sunroof option.

That's just disgusting. Didn't know that. No wonder we don't get anything fun.
Can you please explain how Porcshe is able to bring over very limited run cars and still make money? Cayman R, GT3, GT3-RS, GT2 and of course the GT2-RS?
What sells cars in the US, is great magazine reviews, and I'm sure a lighter weight, sharper handling M3 with real brakes and coilovers- even with the stock engine- would get rave reviews and it wouldn't cost $160,000 to make.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."