View Single Post
      05-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #33
BMW F22
Major General

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
geneil... just out of curiosity... do you consider yourself a cultured person? as in have you've been around people of very different life styles... this has nothing to do with the argument but i'm trying to see why your so highly opiniated...

most if not all of my friends are asian... within my realm i'd say about 1/2 are indian and middle eastern and the other half are purely pacific islander (japanese, chinese, taiwanese, etc)... i have only a few white friends. i went to a primarily half white half asian private school... the people there are very culturally diverse...

my friends have sisters, cousins, or family members that have been in arranged marriages and disobeying the family heads would result in similar consequences... all i can say is... well sucks for them but its not my place to say if its right or wrong.

if you were to tell them that their culture is wrong... it would be almost like a communist gov't telling americans that we're wrong because we're so damn capitalistic and greedy. whos right? who's wrong... i bet you have an opinion on that as well.

The thing with this is that even your friends' sisters, cousins, etc. dont want to be set up. Whether they've assimilated or not doesnt matter. They dont want anyone to dictate their lives but they have no choice because it's either arranged marriages or death.

This means that while the older generation still believes that arranged marriages are okay, the new generation want to choose their own paths. IMO it's ridiculous how some cultures are like that. Im not saying my (or our) culture is the best (ethnocentrism doesnt exist with me) but I believe that everyone is entitled to making their own decisions.
BMW F22 is offline   United_States