View Single Post
      05-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #32
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I'm sure 1M is a great car, it just gets a little iffy when people start comparing it to M3. I have never seen threads comparing M3 to M5 or M6 or if there is any, it must be just a handful of them but personally I have not seen any. More 135, 335, 335is and now 1M drivers are more obsessed with M3 than M3 drivers being obsessed with ANY other car (may be GT3). If that says anything it says M3 drivers are faaar more satisfied with their car than most other groups. Satisfied with their pros AND cons. We admit our M3 short comings and we have no problems accepting them. And that doesn't come from being delusional, it comes from being confident. Congrats and thanks for the honest review.
It does not get a little "iffy" at all. The fact is people have been complaining about the dimensions, weight gain, and how the current M3 has lost the "fun" factor that previous generation M3's had. The 1M has sort of been a response to that and the previous generation M3's, therefore it would be natural to compare the two. Also the 1 series M coupe has 6 cylinders, something more similar to most M3's. The 8 seems like it may be a one and only generation.

The whole F/I thing also presents a comparison as the new M3 will likely be an F/I car as well.

I think the idea/introduction of the 1 series M coupe was surrounded by the cons that people (and people freaking about about the engine) can think of so it is nice to see the benefits of a car that will be more likely suited to daily driving and is sporting the M badge.