Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Quote from a local newspaper:

"Police said Thomas and Anderson have extensive criminal histories. Thomas is an alleged gang member from South Los Angeles who was released from prison last December after serving time for being a felon in possession of a firearm."

Doesn't say why he was let out. But it does show that 2 of these criminals had prior records, and could have continued to be problematic. Apparently they were problematic.

Scottwww, I am bringing this up as an argument against just releasing prisoners from our prisons. Yes we do need to save some dough in this country. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and start releasing criminals that will make our cities less safe. Prison is still meant to be a deterrent and punishment for criminals. An easier way for us to not send people to prison is maybe for fewer of the people living here in the US, to maybe not break so many laws.

Personally, if it's between tax subsidies for Oil Companies or criminals in jail, I say keep the law breakers locked up and make Exxon pay taxes.
I partially agree with you.

The solution will have to be a longterm one. This cannot be fixed in a day. And I believe the SCOTUS opinion also suggested giving California five years to bring the prison population down to 110,000 rather than the two years given by the lower court.

Hopefully five years is enough time for Calfornia to comply and to do so with minimal negative impact on society.

Longterm, I would hope Californians would repeal their three-strikes law. Also, decriminalization of crimes that do not need to involve prison time might help. Then there is the need to rehabilitate in a way that people can become productively integrated with society, rather than having the prisons equipped with a revolving door.

The ideas probably already exist that could make this work for the long term. Hopefully the right people are in charge of this to find the answer.
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.