View Single Post
      05-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
NBRider88
I gave her my heart, she gave me crabs

Drives: 06' 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
So, the grade results of taking online classes may give indication of not only their understanding of the subject matter, but also indicate the students ability to be a self-motivator and to work without direct supervision?

Yes, I believe it indicates the students ability to be a self-motivator and work on his own. Many people I know simply can't do online course as they lack motivation to finish or actually learn. It doesn't necessarily give an indication of the understanding of the subject matter because you have the ability to "cheat" on test/quiz that in a normal class setting you wouldn't have that advantage. I would say if taking online courses and you aren't actually interested in the class, you would not learn as much as you could in a regular class where they would have to actually study and be prepared for the tests.

By requiring a couple online classes a year, might a desirable trait be developed in a high school student who would otherwise struggle when faced with online classes that are required by an employer? Or for continuing education credits in their profession?

Yes, but I would allow them to do something they are interested in, that way they would actually make use of it and learn...Not just get by by searching Google for the answers.

One of the things that irritated me about school when I was a student, and irritates me today with my kid as a student, is that they don't teach how to learn. The only teach a subject. Of course they need to teach subjects. But why not teach how to study. How to research. How to work in the real world?
bold