Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I am with you. There are bases around the globe that don't serve an essential purpose any longer. Bring the troops home to their families. Reduce the number of troops in our military, and employ them in private enterprise.

What ways do you see that the cost of the prison system could be reduced?
Stop using private, for profit prisons, stop locking people up for pot possession charges. Violent offenders, and a tax evader like Wesley Snipes (millions in unpaid taxes) should be locked up for a while as a deterrent to others.

all in all I don't think saving money for this nation will be best served by releasing the prison population. It is one of those things that is a necessity in modern society.

Providing proper education and opportunities to at risk youth could be a good investment. It wouldn't save money today, but it would make it possible to save money on incarcerations later.

edit: And to add, a lot of the prison population do have jobs. But, the good they produce don't allow for a huge paycheck for them. I think prisoners make like $2 a day. Nowhere near enough to pay for their own incarceration or food.

Last edited by xbook; 05-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.