Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
Yes and no.
It's all what you make out of it and whether you do take it seriously,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I think it really depends on the course and the motivation of the person taking the course. "you get out of it what you put into it."
Is it more dependent upon the student making something of it than it is in a traditional classroom environement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
I've taken several online classes, none of them were any easier than regular class. Maybe your professor friend isn't very good? Every class, regardless of format, is 99% dependent on the professor.

When we look back in history, we see rapid specialization of labor. Internet has accelerated this process. At this point most people need far less depth of general knowledge, and far more scope and skill in finding information online. Online format encourages that.
Is it possible for the professor to keep control in an online course as well as some do in the traditional classroom? (I say some, because some teachers are miserable failures in the classroom.)
Is specialization more possible in the online course, than in the classroom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutzkicker617 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I usually think of online courses as a study aid rather than a comprehensive learning experience - it's really important, in my opinion, to supplement them with learning from books, lectures, personal research, or whatever else.

I also think online courses are a terrible idea for high school students and younger. Students at that age usually do not have the focus or drive to use their computer solely as a study tool. You can thank the internet for that one.
This seems to be your confirmation that the online course is not for all students. In a traditional classroom, perhaps a class in algebra is not for all students. I don't know if algebra is required of all students by some grade. If a student can't get an A or even a C should they not have to take the course? Do the schools still dish out D's and E's by grading on a curve? Or did that go away in this present day?

I really appreciate the insight. It has been a long time since I have been a student, and to get a better idea of what students face today is really helpful.