View Single Post
      05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA

Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I never said the 1M wasnt a better driver's car than the RS3, but the 1M cant touch the Cayman/S/R for being the better driver's car.
There was definitely some type of track timed testing. The 1M got badly beaten by the Cayman R and lost to the RS3 in both dry and wet laps. We all knew this would be the result with the Cayman R as its in another league, but seeing the RS3 beat the 1M shows Audi is making some at least decent cars (and that's coming from a guy who doesnt care to much for Audis).

Dry laptimes:
0.58,7 min - Cayman R PDK
0.59,8 min - RS3
1.00,2 min - 1M

Wet laptimes:
1.03,2 min - RS3
1.04,8 min - Cayman R PDK
1.05,7 min - 1M
I don't know about the RS3, but the S3 had to be rev'd to keep it performing. Not much in the way of bottom end. That makes for a terrible performing car in the real world. Obviously the biggest issue with the N54 has always been upper end power, where it goes flat. Track times are nice, but power characteristics and handling are important too and those don't show precisely in track times. AWD is great in some situations but are prone to understeer which is annoying. I'd have the Cayman R over the other two without question. I'd have other cars over the other two as well. I don't like hatchbacks.