View Single Post
      05-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #75
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Not sure why Obama or the administration would lie about OBL's death. The consequences would be catastrophic to him and his administration. Which leads to ...

If OBL had been dead since 2001, then not sure why GWB wouldn't have mentioned it, especially when his approval ratings were in the toilet towards the end of his presidency.

I also approve of his body being dumped in the ocean regardless of whether Islamic ritual was followed. Where exactly would OBL be buried? If in the US or any other location accessible to US citizens, then you invite grave desecration, unless you want to spend tax money to guard the gravesite (which no one would ever approve). If in the Middle East, you create a "Mecca"-like site for Muslim terrorists (not exactly appealing to our own US interests). Perhaps an unmarked grave in an unknown location? Then you invite a whole host of grave-seekers, and perhaps sooner or later the location will be revealed; plus, the info's going to be recorded somewhere.
As an academic curiosity, it'd have been interesting to give the body to the Saudis, seeing as he was a Saudi national, and see how that purportedly friendly government handled it.

Personally, I think it's time we put the Saudis and the Pakistanis to task and get an unequivocal measure of their allied-ness. Like my issue with the way OBL's body was handled (re: proof of death, not with regard to observing Islamic burial guidelines), I prefer clear situations. As goes those two countries, I'd just as soon we get them to piss or get off the pot, quite frankly. In particular, the Pakistanis, about whom I find it hard to believe they didn't know OBL was living in an upper-class neighborhood outside the capital city, need to be called to the carpet. That'd be the equivalent of the US Government not knowing some globally sought clown was living large in Middleburg, VA, or for an even more germane example, Great Falls, VA, which is a well-to-do, horsey, DC suburb that all but neighbors the CIA and scores of military contractors in the Dulles corridor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States