View Single Post
      05-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #39
BayMoWe335
Major
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajduk View Post
Nothing. Stocks are over inflated and the market will tank again. There are smarter places to put your money, mutual funds and stocks aint the place for me.
Such as? Perma-bears like you appear to be (sorry if I mis-judged you) missed out on 100% gains from the bottom. Sure, I was down along the way, but I never took those losses. I bought more and more and more until I had stocks, ETFs, and mutual at such ridiculously low levels, I was rewarded for my patience. And I'm not genius stock picker...few are. People that think the market will crash again are just ignoring facts. Companies are making money, beating estimates, and raising guidance. Banks are recovering more slowly and housing hasn't bounced yet, but things ARE better than 2-3 years ago. Perma-bears do this while they are trampled by the bulls. We were too high 350 points ago in the S&P. Sure, they'll be a correction, but I think you missed your chance to buy GE at $6.

Stocks may feel like a game, but it's really the only reasonable way to grow your money reasonably quickly. Inflation? Wow, it's going to be a problem for sure. However, we know how to deal with it and will do so by raising interest rates. Worried about it? Add some GLD to your portfolio and make a killing. I have a significant % of my portfolio in gold for this reason.

If you consistently add to your positions, double down at 10% drops, and don't get distracted by the ups/downs, you will make money. It's really that simple. People like to point out the index has not paid well for 10 years, but they don't mention dollar cost averaging. Investing consistently is the key. The most successful investor in the world preaches this and we should do the same.

Everything has its ups and downs, including the "other" places you speak of, regardless of what they happen to be.

And if you don't contribute and your company matches, well, that's just stupid.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 05-01-2011 at 09:58 PM.