View Single Post
      04-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
lm1z
Major

Drives: 2013 Singapore Grey F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
Yeah, we don't need a businessman in office forever, I'm moderate as well but I know as well as anyone that Obama means well.....but you can;t spend trillions in a recession. Sure, the bulk of US citizens (and mexicans) like to see he's spending money one them and that might prompt them to spend more pocket money somewhat stimulating the economy...but the upper classes see him not "spending" money but "pissing money away."

35.8% of US citizens pay in come tax. That leaves 64% who don't.

Want my frank opinion? If you haven't paid taxes in the last 5 years you should have no say in who leads this government. Late taxes are ok, thanks to the system being THAT fkd up, but if you get exempted from funding the government then you shouldn't be able to ASK FOR FUNDS you don't help pay.

This is why I'm the #1 fan of flat tax. There is no way around it. Even drug dealers and pimps will have to pay taxes... And then the tax attorneys and CPAs would be out of business...boohoo. With a comprehensive flat tax every single fiscal issue will be solved in 5 years, max. We could afford a trillion dollar "free insurance for everyone" program and still have money left over for energy R&D and road/bridge/dam restoration (more "shovel ready" jobs).

But, the lower class feels that something on that scale would cripple their budgets. Why? Oh, that'ssssss right.... They don't pay taxes as it is so ANY tax big or small would "cripple" their budgets.

As a US Naval officer I feel sickened by the people I serve and protect, this should not have to be said. America is a disgrace, and needs economic reform and social dis-reform badly.
Totally agree in reference to your tax statements.

However, I do believe that we needed to spend a large chunk of change during the recessional period - this is what most people don't understand. If you compare the government to a business, you will see that many businesses (with liquid capital) invest millions in projects dealing with technology and logistics during periods such as this one. Take a look at the 80's. When times get better, you come out of the tough times on top - leaner and meaner than ever. Obama wanted to do exactly this, and as you said, he meant well. However, WHERE the money was allocated was completely wrong...Healthcare? NOW? Education...NOW? It had to be done NOW? He specifically stated that small businesses are what drive this country. He's right. But was it right to take more money out of small businesses pockets, which in turn led to many businesses filing for bankruptcy OR using their cash just to stay afloat. There was no room for improvement. The bottom line is that he felt that he could get this done in a 4 year term. It is going to take much longer than one Presidential term for either of those sectors to dramtically change. And here's the kicker...I would have invested this money in technology and you guessed it, logistics. Guess what would have happened? An increase in technological efficiency, an increase in jobs, improved EDUCATION, improved HEALTHCARE, and a more efficient market economy. This could have been a great start to climbing our way back up the International ladder.

It took him over 3 years to propose something along these lines - a $54b high-speed rail project.

You can't deny his values and his heart, but that's not what we need to be instilling in Americans right now. There's no more room for lovey-dovey bullshit. We need to get to work or we're all screwed.
PAST 2012 Mineral White E92 M3
CURRENT 2013 Singapore Grey F10 M5

Last edited by lm1z; 04-07-2011 at 11:26 AM.