View Single Post
      04-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Careful, I Bite.....
MadDog's Avatar

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.75]
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
don't do a state where it has yearly taxes that is complete bullshit.

you might have to do a bit of research to figure out which states you can get out of sales tax as I'm assuming you paid sales tax in Germany.

for example, i THINK in PA if you paid 'sales' tax in germany, and have documentation to prove it, you can register it in PA and not have to pay any taxes
Which is why CA doesn't call it a 'sales tax' when you register a car from out-of-state. They call it 'use tax', which just happens to be at the same rate as sales tax. But, if you've owned the car for more than a year, you don't pay the use tax.

Here's an excerpt from the CA DMV website:

Fees that may be due

The amount of fees that may be due depends on a variety of factors. An exact amount can only be calculated when you submit your application to the department. For an estimate, you may use the online Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator. The type of fees collected are:

* Registration Fee : Collected on the majority of on-highway vehicles to offset DMV costs.
* Reflectorized License Plate Fee: Collected to cover license plate issuance.
* California Highway Patrol Fee: (CHP) Collected to offset CHP costs.
* County Fees: Vary by county. Collected at the request of your California county of residence for special programs.
* Vehicle License Fee (VLF): Based on the value of your vehicle as determined by the Certificate of Cost or Bill of Sale. (Disabled Veterans and Nonresident military personnel stationed in California may apply for a military exemption from the VLF on vehicles they register in California.)
* Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Original Fee: All trailers, except trailer coaches and park trailers, are under the PTI program. PTI trailers are not subject to registration, CHP, county, and vehicle license fees. PTI trailers pay an original fee and then a service fee every five years for renewal.
* Weight Fee: Assessed on pickups with an unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. or less, and commercial motor vehicles with gross operating weight under 10,001 lbs. This fee is based on the empty or unladen weight.
* Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) Fee: Assessed on commercial motor vehicles with an operating weight of 10,001 lbs. or more (and including pickups with an unladen weight of 8,001 lbs. or more). This fee is based on the motor vehicle gross vehicle weight (GVW) or combined gross vehicle weight (CGVW). Tow trucks used to assist the motoring public to tow or carry impounded vehicles are subject to CVRA fees. The tow truck’s declared weight is based on its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), not a combined gross vehicle weight.
* Cargo Theft Interdiction Program (CTIP) Fee: Commercial motor vehicles operating at 10,001 lbs. or more are assessed a CTIP fee. This fee is not due for pickups, tow trucks, or vehicles for hire used solely to transport people. It is used by the CHP to recover stolen cargo and promote security for commercially registered vehicles.
* Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.
* Nonresident Service Fee: Collected on vehicles and vessels other than PTI trailers and Special Equipment.
* Penalties: Assessed when fees for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due. PTI trailers are only assessed late use tax penalties.