View Single Post
      03-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
To me the E9X is just as dated as the E46 as I'm so used to seeing them. In fact, a nice E46 is quite rare and when you see a well kept one (wether M or not) it's far more pleasing. Just shortly ago I saw a nice white E46 330i 4-door (I think 2005 based on the wheels) at the local Whole Foods and it looked perfect and as functional as anything today. Ultimately it all has to do with product life cycle and since we're talking about mass produced cars, none of these are going to seem "current" once out of production. Timeless is a BMW Z8. Anyone who thinks any mass produced car is timeless needs to think again. There's nothing timeless about the E9X. Its lines are not clean and very confused. Timeless is Aston Martin as it's instantly recognizable (grill/front end) and its lines are perfectly clean. BMW needs to understand the benefits of making something understated. The new Z4 is in my opinion (well, plus the 1 series) has the worst lines (and seams) I've ever seen in a BMW. I have very low expectations for BMW designs these days.
At least they've kept the Kidney grills... but you're correct. I think Porsche is a perfect example; I think they have kept their look very consistent and stable for a long time. BMW has a new "look" each generation, more than just a subtle update - this in no way doesn't mean I dislike the look of the e92, i actually really like it, but I remember when I first saw a e92 and it took a second to place the maker. There's no confusing a Porsche
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0