Thread: DSG or Manual
View Single Post
      04-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #86
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

My situation is different than most. I plan on keeping the car forever. Can't stomach the depreciation hit of almost 50% of the cars worth by the end of warranty. Although an out an out of warranty M3 is going to be insanely expensive, it won't be anything like the depreciation. One concern about DSG I mentioned earlier is reliability and cost of repair. Another concern n is that If I buy an early DSG car it will be a test mule for BMW and secondly in 10 years they will most likely have improved it substantially. With an MT car I know they have perfected it for past 50 years and there really isn't room for improvement. Once the DSG comes out, I will be looking to see if it is standard or an option, how much if an option. What the mpg difference between the two transmissions and how much faster is the DSG car particularly in the quarter mile. Finally I will be looking at reviews of both transmissions and finding out how smooth the DSG is in automatic mode. The SMG really suffered in this area. I am almost certain I won't be be given the opportunity to test drive both transmissions, which may be the most important thing of all.
Appreciate 0