View Single Post
      02-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Didn't matter what they were based on, the S engines are significantly different. I'd rather see a V6 anyway just for the compactness.

Actually it does matter..... the blocks were exactly the same..... the crankshaft, rods, pistons and cylinder heads were different. The block is the basis for an engine, it has to be strong enough to handle the BMEP's that are produced by the combustion events.

Changing crankshafts, rods, pistons, and heads can totally change the characteristics and dynamics of an engine. I don't care if BMW bases the new FI M3 engine on the N54 or N55, all I care is that it is a satisfying powerplant with a high redline (7.5K RPM or higher), good power delivery, and a satisfying sound.

Anyone who wishes BMW would make a V6 is out of touch with the virtues of the inline 6 design and with BMW's heritage. BMW has said on many occasions in the past it would not make 6 cylinder engines in any other configuration other than inline. I was quite surprised and repulsed to hear that a V6 was possible in the new F32 M3. Thankfully it seems that that rumour is mostly squashed.