View Single Post
      04-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #28

Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Well, cars like the M3 are in the boundary between the mass-market and the custom built pieces. So, I am saying that the factory M3 is much more refined than your average mid-range car when it comes to performance. In the end, everything is a trade-off--any kind of design process is comprised of a series of trade-offs. That is exactly what I am saying: if you are willing to trade off things like reliability and emissions for performance, you can. Heck, you can make the thing perform a space flight if you spend enough and disregard other civilized considerations. But then do you want a race car, or do you want something you can drive on the street? If you want a race car, there are much better options than the M3 out there. That said, I still assert that it is not possible to gain 60-80hp by simply replacing headers and programming ECUs on this thing. Maybe 20hp in total, which you most likely will not feel during daily driving conditions, but not 60-80hp.
Personally, I think it's useless for me, as a person less likely to mod my car, to post much in a thread like this. Why get into a discussion about trading reliability for performance? People who want to mod will mod without your blessing, consent, unsolicited advice, etc. Why bother?
E30 1991 318is, Red on Black Leatherette

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i