View Single Post
      02-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
Nachos23
SweetXi

Drives: 2004 330Xi

Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Thanks for the compliments. I also am looking forward to getting the manifold and valve cover started tomorrow. Most of these parts I've never wrapped before (with exception of ECU cover and Cabin Air filter cover), so I'm enjoying the challenge and I think I might say; RISING to the challenge.

There is no HP gain from wrapping in CF. These are cosmetic mods, but will make the parts look real sweet (rather than flat black plastic) and for those showing their cars as this one is.... it can be the difference from placing 1st v.s. 2nd in a show! It can also be used to protect the existing parts as the carbon fibre actually strengthens the original parts to a degree.

I hear alot of talk about heat susceptibilitiy and by accident tonight tested that theory. I use a propane heater in the curing booth to dry the resin. I inadvertantly left a piece of CF cloth on top of the unit before firing it up today. In just a couple of minutes the top of the heater causes water to immediately 'bounce' off top. After about 15 minutes, i noticed a slight smell of burning cloth; noticed the CF cloth on tiop of the heater and went to gingerly remove it thinking it would be super hot. It was cool to the touch and the cloth was completely unscarred. The metal lid however now has heat marks and a slight warp as the CF cloth reflected the heat so well, it stayed cool to the touch and caused the metal to warp!!!! Pretty fucking cool!
Nachos23 is offline   Canada