M3 March 2011 Production Changes:
The BMW Apps (6NR) is described as: (More details HERE)
- M3 continues as 2011 model
- All M3 models receive new BMW Apps (6NR) as an option
- M3 convertible will offer new BMW Individual Composition Package in the Spring (info coming later)
- Special edition BMW Individual M3 coupe will be offered in limited numbers in late Spring (info coming later)
Coming as the next advancement in BMW's ConnectedDrive Strategy, BMW Apps will provide new, unique ways of connecting driver, vehicle, and iPhone. Please be advised that adding option 6NR to any vehicle will automatically add Smartphone Integration (6NF) without an additional charge. 6NF will no longer be available as a standalone option. At the time of launch, BMW Apps will offer three functional areas (Apps, Plugin, and Video Playback).
- Apps will consist of the BMW Connected App and BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps. The BMW Connected App is a free package available for download at Apple's App Store and currently includes Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter. Announcements for BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps will be forthcoming.
- Plugin allows the user to take advantage of Apple iTunes features (such s Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc.) that were previously unavailable. In essence, this function brings the look and feel of Apple's iPod interface to the iDrive display (requires snap in adapter)
- Video Playback enables the user to view any video playback from their iPhone via the iDrive display when the vehicle is stationary (requires snap in adapter).
BMW Apps will be available on all BMW vehicles as of March, except for X3, X5, and X6 models, where the availability will begin as of April. iPhone models supported include 3G, 3GS or 4 enabled with the "BMW Connected" app available free of charge at Apple's App Store.