12-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #76
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
I will love it if they manage this, but 0-60 in 3.7, i very much doubt this. They will never let the m3 be quicker than the m5 and m6, I can't see them making a car such as the m5 or m6 around 3.5 seconds 0-60.

Time will tell I guess.....
I agree 3.7 is unlikely that is the essence of why I am using ranges of values - inputs to the simulation and outputs from it. There is simply no way to make exact predictions. Heck the power output is not even precise yet. That being said up to 80-100mph or so the M3 will probably be pretty neck and neck with the new M5. As I posted earlier, keep in mind how incredibly conservative official BMW acceleration figures are, well over 1/2 second conservative. My numbers are best case US magazine predictions part of that is because they (with a custom taken from US drag racing) allow a 1 foot roll out. This make a 0.3-0.4 second difference compared to the European magazines. I think they will see 4.2-4.4 second times for their 0-100 km/h times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
If the new M5 is going to be used for any type of guidance I personally think M5 HAS TO have (way) more than 550HP...It needs to utterly DESTROY the CTS-V.
BMW M has consistently bested other manufacturers efforts at the track with less hp (particularly AMG). I don't expect the M5 vs. CTS-V to be any different. Even if it has a bit more power than the CTS-V its overall chassis excellence will give it better track performance.

Last edited by swamp2; 12-20-2010 at 06:38 PM.