View Single Post
      12-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #133
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I'm at around 600+ miles in my break-in period. My dealer mentioned to me that my 2011 M3's engine is limited to 5500 RPM as a forced precaution from factory... and that once I get my 1200-mile service, they'll unlock the car's capabilities.

That hasn't proven to be true as my car has gone as high as 6500 RPM (in an accidental 1/2-second moment of downshifting too quickly at a high speed).

Was he referring to a limited SUSTAINED RPM of 5500 or what? I certainly don't want to mess with it, but I'd like to know the facts on this.

On top of that, my M3 continues to alert me that I need service even though I'm only half-way there. My dealer says to ignore it as 1,200 miles is the golden number. Okay... so I ignore the alerts
As others have noted your dealer is wrong, probably about many other things as well.

The only pre-1,200 mile thing I "might" have noticed was that the shift lights seemed to start coming on at something like 5,500 rpm whereas they now don't start popping until 7,000 or so. I don't think it was my imagination but then again...
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States