View Single Post
      04-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #22
hav2flynow
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 Mineral White 328i Sport

Garage List
Modern-day Easter celebrations have origins that pre-date Christianity. How, you might ask, can a Christian holiday have traditions older than the religion itself? The word Easter derives from the name of an ancient goddess. Ishtar was known as the goddess of love and fertility in Babylonian society, and others called her Astarte. Eventually, the name changed to Ostara, which is "Eastre" in Old English.

Eggs were once to Easter what Chocolate is to Valentine's Day. Eggs symbolize birth and fertility in many cultures, and in medieval Europe, eggs were forbidden during Lent, making them a prized treat for children on Easter. Eggs were painted bright colors to resemble the sun and springtime. Lovers often exchanged eggs, similar to Valentine's Day cards today.

Which came first, the Easter Basket or the Eggs? In ancient Europe, eggs of different colors were taken from the nests of various birds and used to make talismans. The eggs were often ritually eaten. The search through the woods for eggs gradually evolved into the Easter egg hunt, while painted eggs eventually replaced wild birds' eggs.

I found this article on the net. Something I already knew since I study with a Bible Scholar (Shepherdschapel.com). Christians wanted to seperate themselves from Jews, instead of Passover, they adopted (wrongly IMO) Easter, which was a spring fertility holiday (eggs, bunnys). Most Christians say the eggs etc. are for renewal (because someone told them that, they did no studying for themselves),and most are also ignorant of HISTORY. I celebrate Passover and I am a Christian.(Christ is our Passover not our Ishtar) The Bible says "My pulpit will be polluted" = Christians roll fertility eggs to a fertility Goddess on the Church lawn. I guess many still know not what they do.
hav2flynow is offline   United_States