View Single Post
      11-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #66
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E60 M5 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
It doesn't appear that the M3 was braking all that hard, if you freeze the video the moment the M3 brake lights come on you can see the Evo has options at that point. The most conservative option would be to get on the brakes hard while continuing out to mid track and not staying left to the apex. The Evo makes no attempt to slow and (according to the G-meter) has some tire traction available to slow. Seems to me that the Evo was too concerned about getting a sub 8 minute lap time instead of trying to avoid a situation with the M3 (basing some of that on the comments on youtube).

Obviously the Evo driver knows the ring. He should have seen that the M3 driver was totally off line (pinching the entry) and could have actually backed off to give the M3 some room before the brake lights came on.

Certainly the M3 screwed up, but the accident was the fault of the Evo who never used his brakes prior to being clipped by the M3.

It's easy to Monday morning QB this situation, who knows how I would have reacted if I'd been there. I've been close to cars that spun in front of me and have always been able to avoid contact (knock on wood). With experience you can predict some bad situations before they actually occur.

Here's an example of a no contact spin (skip ahead to 9:15 for the spin):

Be wary of my rear view mirror actuated spin control device.
Exactly.

Yes the Evo driver seemed to be more experienced than the M3 driver.
Yes, the M3 is the one that was off the lines.

But, it's the Evo's fault for the accident because he assumed the whole track was his so everyone had to get out of his way when he wanted to pass.

The M3 obviously didn't give him the consent to pass.
He was out of shape and was looking to correct his mistake, not looking to correct his mistake while staying on the right side of the track so speedy can pass. Jesus, how many obstacles does he have to deal with in a split second.
On a track day, if the guy in front of you is losing control, get out of his way and let him recuperate before you try and overcome someone that doesn't have control of their car.

That's like seeing someone do a 360 in front of you and bouncing off the wall and instead of letting the car come to a stop, you decide to time his spins and wall bounces just right so you can pass and not have to lose some seconds off your lap time. Well if you don't time it right and you hit him, it's your fault! He had no control of his car, while you had FULL control of yours.
Thus, you had FULL control of the situation and it's your fault.

BTW. You can tell he has full control because when the M3 hits the brakes, the Evo is only pulling 0.4-0.6 lateral G's and pretty much costing; not braking or accelerating.