View Single Post
      10-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #161
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Do you represent a group of people around here? Speak for yourself dude, you represent no one around here.

Of course the S4 would be capable of 30 leisurely laps, but it won't be capable of 30 against the clock laps for the simple reason that the S4 was not built with the track as an objective...you'll probably see engine overheating, brake fading, the things that one will usually see when tracking a car that was not built for track....

whereas the M3 was built so as to be tracked from time to time...read the owner manual, it says there (oh wait, you are not an M3 owner )

a lot of guys around here track their M3's...you tell them why the M3 is not capable of 30 laps, and they will laugh in your face.
I'm a fan of the M3, and have written more accurate words of praise in this forum than most - and nobody who knows what they're doing on track will laugh in my face.

In brief, brakes are a clear problem on the current M3, just as they were on '95 E36 and '04 E46 models that have graced our garage.

You are either unfamiliar with track use, or are a beginner, in which case you haven't yet begun to challenge the car. The brake weakness is well known - to people who actually know stuff.

People who know what they're doing on track routinely upgrade M3 brakes, because they're not up to multiple hot laps. Period. Beginners won't challenge them, but experienced folks absolutely do.

Your assertion about the S4 is ridiculous. At a guess, the Audi will also overcook the brakes when doing multiple hot laps, and also tear up the front sneakers even more than the bimmer, but it's also built to run just as hard and long as the M3 is on the autobahns. At a guess, the only difference will be increased front tire wear.

Lastly, I speak for myself, but can represent the "people who know stuff" segment of this forum more often than not. In this case, I represent trackwise folks who know about the traditional M3 moderate brake weakness. Obviously not including yourself, of course.

Bruce

PS - The Audi S4 is one hell of a car, clearly superior to any 335 iteration, but not able to compete on track or drag strip with the M3. Can't believe it was intended to, either.
Appreciate 0