View Single Post
      10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
dibxna
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 LMB e90 m3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's preposterous. You can launch the car in anyway that gives you the desired results. Simply flooring (or feathering it) it from a stop is perfectly acceptable. It's not going cause any more wear on the car than doing an LC launch will - probably less so, in fact. Of course you don't want to go doing dozens of launches in a row, but that applies to any car.

You neglected to mention the car must be in S6 mode. Also, since when does the LC work via the paddle? Unless there has been a software revision of some kind that I don't know about, only the stick can be used to do a launch.

Why would that be? There is no reason you cannot shift on your own if you want. Heck, almost no one is going to have the opportunity to run through all seven gears in LC mode. There's no reason you cannot shift to a higher gear before you let off the throttle.
was referring to only launching in launch control mode the way the manual says. you can launch any way you want if youre not using launch control... figured common sense would take over here but i apologize if it didnt appear that way.

you are correct - s6 mode - apologize for the oversight

steps direct from the manual:

1. press brake while engine is running
2. deactivate dsc
3. select drivelogic 6
4. w/ vehicle stationary press selector lever forward and hold. flag symbol appears.
5. press accelerator down all the way - engine speed is controlled (thus my statement of not shifting on your own)
a. use the same lever to change drive-off speed by 100 rpm increments up to 500rpms
6. this whole time you will have still been holding selector lever forward and now will depress accelerator all the way down.
7. release lever and car accelerates under launch control.

i didnt realize i was putting paddles in the mix - apologies on this as paddle versus lever could make things a bit difficult to accomplish launch control properly

for the online manual visit the link already previously provided here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

select year and make and search for 'launch control' for step by steps with a couple diagrams to help out.

thanks for catching the mistakes for me mkoesel - not really an area you want to goof up or it could lead to problems for the car.
dibxna is offline   United_States