10-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #35
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
Those are the jews im talking about. You say in the financial world, there are more no jews than jews, and its true, but looking at the % and the positions they take i think that number is more relevant.
I guess per capita there are more Jewish people working in financial type institutions than other religions, and I can't really think of a specific reason why, nor is there. I am half Jewsih (my mom is Catholic) and I am an accountant. That fits the stereotype, but I didn't become an accountant because I am Jewish, but rather because it was a good paying career and one that gave me a chance to work in many different industries. Also, there are around 200 people that work in my office with me. I think I know of maybe 10-15 that are Jewish. A reason I guess, that could explain why Jewish people tent to work in medical, financial, etc. industries is because, at least from my experience with friends, Jewish families tent to emphasize education a lot. They encourage their kids to get as much education as possible, similar to the stereotype of of Indian families.

Also, if you meet someone who is non-Jewish that is an accountant you probably won't give any thought to it, but if you meet a Jewish accountant it helps to reinforce the stereotype. I don't think that is fair, a person's religion shouldn't have any bearing on the type of career they've chosen. But the fact that Jewish people are perceived to be heavily concentrated in financial type fields I think fuels the stigma towards them. Also, a "rich" Jew reinforces the stereotype. But there are plenty of poor or non-wealthy Jews. In fact, if you look at the list of the richest people in the world, almost all of them are non-Jews. Buffet, Gates, etc., non of them are Jewish. In fact, 2 of the top 5 richest people in the world are Indians.

All these things are just stereotypes. Like I said, if you meet a Jewish accountant, you remember it and it reinforces your stereotype. But if you meet a Jewish painter, you probably don't really think anything of it. Same thing applies to other religions/cultures. If you walk into a gas station and see and Indian person working there you are probably going to remember, or notice it because it fits the stereotype that Indians all own convenience stores. But you meet an Indian banker, you probably won't give a second thought to it. If you see a black kid walking down the street with his pants around his ankles doing a gangsta walk you'll probably take notice and it will reinforce the stereotype that blacks are gangta rappers. But the black guy wearing a suit will probably walk right by you without you even noticing. If you meet an Englishman with yellow crooked teeth, it reinforces the stereotype that the English have bad teeth, but you probably don't remember all the English people you've met with nice teeth. I can go on and on. That's the problem with stereotypes. We have a tendency to only take the few people we remember who fit the stereotype and use it to reinforce it. But most we meet or see people who don't reinforce it we tend to forget them.