View Single Post
      09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #87
SfValley335i
Colonel

Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
War ravaged countries? From the religion of peace?

You know, the real useful thing about religion is it's ability to control people. I think it's all fairy tales, but if you actually believe it it can be a powerful motivator in your life. I think some drug addicts, criminals, etc. can really benefit from religion.

However, in Islam this power to control seems to be used quite often to foster warfare and violence. Shouldn't the religion of peace foster...I don't know...PEACE, even in areas where the people are uneducated and poor? The afterlife rewards of Martyrdom are a powerful motivator for such people. Why would the religion of peace offer such rewards rather than, say, afterlife rewards for peacemakers? Because it is not a religion of peace.

Keep in mind that the Afghans consider Al Queda foreigners, and many of it's leaders and high-level operatives (e.g. 9/11 hijackers) were actually quite well educated.

I believe religion was created to keep people in check and provide guidance. I agree with you, criminals etc can really benefit from religion.

I'll repeat myself again, how do you expect a religion of peace (islam) to foster it, if the believers cannot understand/read the book and most of their knowledge of the religion is based off what someone tells them. If you goto Pastor Terry Jones church I'm sure he'll be preaching about hating muslims, burning Qurans etc, I dont think that follows Christianity does it? And this is why education is important, because if you dont have one your more easily persuaded and cant think outside the box.

I call myself a muslim even though I've never opened a Quran before. Its easy to see that the Quran was written a long time ago and has NOT been edited, unlike other holy books. Its safe to assume that the book was written during a time when all religions were at war, this is probably why you see the Jihadic and Martyrdom verses in the Quran. They were probably written to preserve the religion and expand? I guess I have this view because I have some education to much such a connection. But from my understanding Quran speaks of Peaceful things such as praying 5 times a day, fasting, and not killing ANY living thing including ants, its even wrong to upset someone.

Yes of course Afghans consider Al Qaeda as foreigners, Afghans are not Arab. Ya, I believe you that the 9/11 attackers were educated but they are a minority. Most that are fighting in the Jihad against all are uneducated.
SfValley335i is offline   Afghanistan