View Single Post
      09-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #69
hks786
Major General

Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
It sure doesn't look that way from the outside. Off the top of my head, we see Islamic-inspired beheadings (on a regular basis for a while), shia and sunni slaughtering each other, sudanese genocide of Christians, the vast majority of hijackings, flying planes full of civilians into buildings, blowing up trains, sendinging kids and teens on suicide missions to kill civilians in palestine and then bragging about it, extreme lack of freedom under sharia, treatment of women as property with even more extreme limitations on their rights, barbaric punishment methods even for trivial crimes, constant threats of genocide of the jews from Islamic states (often accompanied with great respect for Hitler's attempt), retentention of Muslims through extreme threats should they become apostate, violent protests against ridiculously minor things, like a cartoon, and killing of people critical to Islam (Theo Van Gogh), Ayan Hirsi Ali having to live with the protection of bodyguards due to her criticism, we see terrorists brutally slaughtering hundreds of innocent, defenseless children in a Russian school etc.

Despite all this, most Muslims are peaceful. But a disproportionately huge number aren't, and it causes a lot of problems. What has Islam done to promote peace? What has Islam done to contribute to the modern world? What has Islam even done to earn respect, rather than contempt? If you want Islam to be respected as a religion of peace, and as compatible with the modern world, police your own and clean up your own house. DEMONSTRATE it is a religion of peace- don't just keep saying it. The proof is in the pudding.

Are you kidding me? The Koran clearly says to cut the hand off of thiefs.

I believe the stoning of adulterers is from the Haddith (edit- just looked it up. Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 82), and as a continuition of the traditions taken from the bible. They're following it the RIGHT way, which is what makes it so scary. The bible says to stone adulterers, too, but Jews and Christians have outgrown that disgusting practice.

I'd love to see you go to a Muslim theocracy and tell them Sharia is wrong
All I can say is my opinion of these matters are already stated. Let's just agree to disagree. I feel that you still keep saying "Islam should do this", "Islam should do that" etc. and I cannot make you understand Islam is just a religion. It does not think/feel/act for itself.

I think muslims should promote it in the best possible ways, however, you cannot say Islam is at fault for not defending itself. At the end of the day we are all smart enough to know that just because a minority of the population of 1.5bn muslims are involved in terrorism that has NO REFELECTION on the religion itself.

For example, small minorities within US and UK armed forces have been known to abuse their powers and do disgusting things yet it would be unfair to let this affect the image of the rest of the forces. I know you are trying to say that terrorism is a huge problem but it is still a MINORITY population of muslims. Also it doesnt matter how big the problem is because the religion is there to follow. If people abuse it you cannot associate them with Islam and then blame the teachings of the religion.

The funny thing is you admitted this. You admitted that MOST muslims do not do any of these things. However, you then totally missed the point when you asked what does Islam do? I have answered this above. Also, the reason why Islam gets such a bad name is because of the media. All you ever hear is "Islamic terrorist" this and that. When do you ever see the media showing normal daily routines of the 1.5bn strong muslim population across the world? NEVER. We do have TV channels and write books and hold events, but this is not in the front of peoples minds because they dont even know. They only know what they hear in the media.

Also, one final point. So many things that happen have absolutely nothing to do with Islam. Muslims fighting amongst eachother has nothing to do with any sort of teaching in Islam. Actually, in Islam it is forbidden for muslims to fall out and stop talking for longer than 3 days never mind mind VIOLENCE against eachother or other people in general. Muslims have civil wars just like any other religion or people. Even in the west people fight amongst eachother, catholics/protestants etc. It has nothing to do with teachings of religion. It has everything to do with human weakness that we resort to violence when we disagree.

Last edited by hks786; 09-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom