View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
This is what surprises me about western power's will to invade Afghanistan - its been done many times and always ends in defeat.

Listening to the news on the radio and watching the excellent English language version of Al Jazeera TV news its been made clear that the Pakistanis always believed our adventure in Afghanistan would end in defeat. Their policy has been to plan for what happens after that defeat. If that's "looking both ways" as David Cameron put it then it seems sensible enough from their perspective.

Bush might have said you're either with us or against us, but here on planet Earth its not as black and white.
Back in 2001 there weren't a lot of people who wanted to listen to the mantra of "Uh..Invade Afghanistan? Kinda like what the Russians tried to do in the 1980's?"

My only guess is that the powers at be thought this would be different than what happenned to the Russians because the Taliban was a brutal regime and there was a tremendous amount of support within AF (ie. Northern Alliance) to push them out.

I guess we felt at the time that then Paki Pres. Musharraf would be able to fulfill his side of the bargin (The US gave billions in aid and weapons). Unfortunately we underestimated the importance Pakistan and the ISI placed on the Kashmir region and it's quarrel with India.

We should've known that when we weren't given the ability to operate out of Pakistan in addtion to the "save haven" in the western tribal zone that we could not be successful.

The US had a chance to end that war within the first 3 yrs, and Pakistan was instrumental in preventing that from happenning.