View Single Post
      07-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #30
Brigadier General

Drives: metrocard

Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Sorry but Vettel only "caught" Massa after he basically gave up and resigned himself to a 2nd place finish. The Ferrari's were faster than all other cars and were in no danger of being passed by anyone.
If you're stefano dominicali and you're watching the lap times come up, and you engineers are telling you that the gap between your drivers is closing (with vettel behind them), you realize that if something is not done you risk letting vettel catch up to your drivers. letting the drivers race it out and have alonso pass isnt as easy as it sounds. just passing someone in a formula 1 car is a bit more difficult than the way we pass someone on the highway. and passing can also pose a threat of some kind of crash.
Why hold up a driver that is clearly faster and risk throwing away a 1-2 finish? They new Vettel was back there and they knew that if there was one driver that could overtake them both and go on to win, it was Vettel. I feel sorry that for massa that he was put in that position. i'm a big massa fan and on the 1 year anniversary of his accident, there isn't another driver i wanted to see standing on top of that podium. but the truth is alonso was faster, and you cant let the faster driver be held up and risk loosing the race.

The baseball analogy in this thread is spot on.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......