View Single Post
      07-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #26
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E83 X3

On the subject of intermediate brake pads ... I was at Summit Point today. For the first time I used Ferodo DS2500's and Bridgestone RE-11's on the track.

I bedded the pads on the way to the track this morning, or at least I thought I did. I probably didn't spend enough time on bedding, because two laps into the first session, the pads started smelling and the pedal became mushy. Fortunately, since those were my first two laps, I was taking it easy. After that, the pads quickly improved and performed well for most of the rest of the day. In my last session, I decided to push harder in the main straight, and the pads became smelly after braking for turn 1. But the pedal remained firm and, except for the incident in the very first session, I was never really surprised (which happened a few times with the stock pads).

The DS2500's have less initial bite than the stock pads, but better modulation, especially when you get close to ABS engagement. In terms of friction, I don't think they are superior to the stock pads. They probably won't shorten your braking distances, if that's what you're after. But they do take heat better than the stock pads, give you more warning signs of fading, and offer better modulation. Also, they leave less deposits on the rotors. I don't have brake shudder tonight, which I always get with the stock pads. The DS2500's work well in the street too. They occasionally squealed at very low speeds before bedding, but never to the point of startling pedestrians. Overall, I think they're pretty good dual-duty pads if you bed them properly, if you don't expect too much in terms of friction and braking distance, and if you know how to manage your brakes.

Concerning the tires, the RE-11's never became greasy, even though it was very hot today. In similar conditions last year, the stock PS2's became very greasy. Thanks to the stiffer sidewall, the RE-11's don't roll under as much as the PS2's. They are communicative and squeal just as much, or maybe even more, than the PS2's. In terms of pure grip, though, they are not in the same class as R-compounds. They're still street tires. I didn't time myself today, but I don't think my lap times improved a lot compared to last year.

Overall I think this is a pretty good dual-duty set-up for someone who doesn't want to swap pads before and after each event, and who doesn't want to have a second set of wheels and tires for the track.

Last edited by drivendriver; 07-18-2010 at 07:27 AM.