Alekshop
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3 l E92 M3 l F82 M4

Send a message via Skype™ to Alekshop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
It's very risky as there are many variables that can lead to a bricked FRM module. Most common would be the use of a non-regulated power supply as a voltage spike can cause coding failures. We use a Autologic-approved Fronius Activa Power supply ($1500), SnapOn offers a lower featured unit in the ~$800 range.

Other possibilities:

- Voltage spike from power source
- Wifi Connection drops on host computer
- Computer/Laptop crashes during updating

The list goes on. If a mistake is made (whether or not is is one's fault) the module can be "bricked" - it will likely not be saved or brought back to life via remote coding, making for an interesting conversation with your SA as to why BMW should be covering the bill.

Bringing your vehicle to a qualified programmer to autologic approved facility that has received proper training ensures that the technician knows how to account if any of these things should occur, making sure your BMW is in safe hands.

Tools are only as good as the person (with proper training/experience) using them.

I'm working on FRM2 coding at this time, Andrew - as discussed on the phone yesterday, I'll keep you updated.

It was made clear by Autologic team that they don't have a proper coding for FRM2 modules at this time and they never promised to come up with the solution. I hope they will come out with something so all other Autologic shops can offer this option to their customers instead of making them purchase a new $369 FRM3 module.

In response to the statement below, there is NO such thing as an Autologic approved facility. Autologic can sell their products to a business or individual as long as they are willing to pay the price.
Autologic does not provide any special training except for the once a year training class.

Quote:
Bringing your vehicle to a qualified programmer to autologic approved facility that has received proper training ensures that the technician knows how to account if any of these things should occur, making sure your BMW is in safe hands.
Also, I would really appreciate if you keep this conversation free of any assumptions since you have no knowledge in what we do. I can assure people reading this thread that their cars are safe when we do the coding.

Aleks