View Single Post
      07-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #27
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...

Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg View Post
BMW is even more strict now. You need a letter of permission from them for the car you wish to purchase even before you show up at the border...$500.
Is this a recent addition? RIV fee + inspection on top of the 6.1% is all you need last time I checked. There are other threads/posts of guys importing without this fee - what did BMW call the letter?

Quote:
Then in order to get the documentation you need, you will have to perform all "mods" BMW deems necessary to make the car up to canadian "standards". This is where they really shaft you. Can range from 1k to a reported 8k in some cases.
The E9X does not require any modifications though. The DTRL can be programmed to stay on through the iDrive, and the cluster displays both kms and miles so no replacement is required. Other items are standard equip ie: restraints, etc.

Quote:
I would never import a BMW unless the dealer I am purchasing from would issue me a free and clear recall letter (which they are technically not allowed to do). That would allow one to bypass the BS at the BMW dealer in Canada.
The recall letter is another non issue - US dealer will issue one for the car at no charge and can be done whether you buy from a BMW dealer or other

It's a pain yes, but not as bad as you've been led to believe