View Single Post
      06-25-2010, 03:23 AM   #154
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
The GP Thunders are a simple xenon bulb replacement for the oem DRLs. Most people will use a higher temp bulb like 7500-8500k to get a purer white light with slight blue tint, versus ugly yellow oem.

I personally don't "get" the whole angel eye mystique brightness thing. I mean, for brightness I turn on the damn headlights. But for daytime running lamps all you're looking for is a little accent around the grill. Better light distribution between the inner and outer ring is the only concession I would make towards getting the higher-end lights (Aib, LUX. etc), but not for the $$$!

I JUST finished putting in my GP Thunder 7500ks. They look GREAT! Very white color, cost me literally $14 and took 10 minutes to install. Now they do dim down with the main headlights come on, and the color could be a little "whiter"--in hindsight I would go with the 8500k--but this was just the simple solution I needed.
I largely agree. Bulbs are a 80% (very rough number just IMHO) for the ugly yellow-ish stock angel eyes. And like you point out really cheap, fairly easy to install and keeps everything stock. I went with the same bulbs first for quite some months then added the Camaross kit to give them just a bit more brightness. Sure I'd like a bit more even illumination and a better ring design that has a wider viewing angle but both of those are quite tough problems to really solve fully. I guess that is the point all the way back to the OP - there is no "perfect" solution. Not everyone wants the same thing and even if the majority have very similar wants there is still no perfect solution.

BTW I also went 7500k and agree they could be bit more white when they dim but the 8500k are too blue and too ricey. 7500k for me was the best compromise.
swamp2 is offline   United_States