View Single Post
      06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
cycler
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
What I don't understand is how the pro-Israeli lobby always screams anti-semitism at anyone who criticises their government. Its not - in my case its genuine concern. I actually agree with the concept of a Jewish homeland, Lord knows they need somewhere safe after centuries of oppression and murder in Europe.

But that does not give Israel the right to do what it likes - an eye for an eye is not valid in international law. And its utterly counter-productive. They keep going on about missiles fired into border towns, and that must be hell. But would missiles be fired if a Palestinian state existed and the militants were busy with jobs an families? Look at Northern Ireland. The PIRA (thanks for funding their murderous bombing and shooting campaigns all those years America....) vowed to never stop until Ireland was united. And yet they have stopped because a peace settlement that both sides can live with was hammered out.

Israel needs to talk peace and accept that the only settlement on offer is one based around its recognised borders. Until it retreats inside the green line it is essentially screwed. It can't defeat an idea militarility, it will never have peace for its own people until it sues for peace with its enemies. Its tactics are futile, blinkered and bring woe on a people who deserve peace.
If memory serves me correct Ehud Barak former prime minister of Israel agreed to give Arafat 97% of the land he demanded in order to secure a peace deal with the palestinians. He refused and wanted all 100%. There is no negotiating with them. The Palestinians want all or nothing. What country has ever been told to give back land they won in a war. Especially when they were protecting themselves from not 1 not 2 but 3 agressors named Syria, Egypt and Jordon on June 5th-June 10th 1967.

If Egyptian, Syrian, Iraqi and Jordanian military forces were amassing on my borders I wouldn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out I was about to be attacked. Particularly, when the whole world can hear rhetoric such as the following:

"Our basic objective will be the destruction of Israel." Nasser, Egypt, May 27, 1967.

"Israel will perish by the fire of the Arab forces encompassing it". Cairo Radio, May 30, 1967.

"Our goal is clear - to wipe Israel off the map."
President Aref of Iraq, May 31, 1967.

Under such circumstances, a pre-emptive strike was the only way to go - catch the enemy with their knickers down round their ankles