View Single Post
      06-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #107
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
LCI Taillight Coding - What is a Coding Index, FRM3 and Review

Now that we've had quite a bit of field use with different BMW models, we were noticing that some vehicles simply were not accepting the programming from the autologic unit. Production dates seems to play a part in this, but we've have had a couple of MY08 M3s pass with no errors or flickering present.

As stated earlier in the thread, there are a particular number of modules targeted in the update with the most critical modules being the CAS and FRM - both of which store the vehicle order (VO).

Why were some vehicles accepting programming and others were not? Researching through notes has come up with a possible answer.

On a majority of early models, we noticed the Coding Index (CI) was very low. Here's an example of a 2010 M3 with a quick check of the Footwell Module:

This is a pre-qualification check on a 2010 model M3 which shows a coding index of 49 and a manufacture date of October 2009 within the footwell module (FRM3). Upon scoring records, this vehicle passes checks and is greenlighted to proceed with coding.

With the same pre-qualification check on a 2008 M3, we found a coding index of 9, (FRM2), not compatible for coding and must be replaced with a FRM3.

The Footwell module (as the name suggests) is located under the passenger side footwell, this controls the headlamps and majority of other satellite modules within the vehicle, including storing the vehicle order.

Replacing the FRM2 to a FRM3 and coding immediately corrected the issue.

Question: Does my BMW require a FRM3?
A: At this time, we are stating that BMWs with a production date of 8/09 or earlier will require a replacement FRM3. A pre-qualification check will determine if this is needed or not, we will update this post if this info changes in the near future. We have found that vehicles with a CI of as low as 31 are passing checks.

Question: How will I know if I need to purchase a FRM3 without a pre-inspection at my local autologic dealer?
A: It's not 100% certain at this time, but likely early models will require the updated FRM. While some early 2008 M3s have passed without updating - a number of possibilities could have taken place:

a. Alternate manufacturer used for FRM from BMW (the FRM3 pictured is manufactured by LEAR)
b. warranty replacement has previously taken place

Question: Can I purchase a used FRM3 module from eBay?
A: No, we do not recommend coding used modules as a number of other issues can arise.

Question: Will updating the FRM module allow compatibility?
A: No, the coding index seems to be what is preventing coding from taking place, confirming a hardware variation rather than software-based.

We will be logging more vehicles as they pass through the doors, while keeping a supply of FRM3 modules on hand just in case.

Thanks for reading, we have put a LOT of R&D into making this happen - so your support is appreciated.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 06-07-2010 at 02:52 PM.
tom @ eas is offline   United_States