View Single Post
      05-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #63

Drives: <This space for rent>

Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Apologies to all you Texans out there, but is there REALLY that big of a Formula 1 fan base in your parts?
Yes. There is. You have to remember that no one who lives in Austin actually grew up in TX.

Yes. I know, I know. It's Texas. I used to share your thoughts on Texas.

I grew up in NY. I've lived on both coasts. I used to swear I would never permanently move out of the North East. I was extremely skeptical about moving to Austin. In the end I learned none of what I was told about Texas actually applied to Austin. I was simply ignorant about the area and so are you.

Now, if they had chosen any other part of Texas...

New York was always the most logical -tons of tourists as well as a large expatriate population. Also quite a decent amount of awareness of Formula 1 among the general population. LA would have been my next bet, given the car culture and diverse demographics.
Everyone agrees that NY & LA would have made sense. The problem is neither of those cities are able to do what needs to be done to get F1.

I don't see hosting a race in Austin any better than having it in Indianapolis. Location is key in Formula 1 - if the track design is not a classic (and if Tillke makes it, it won't be), it's bound to follow the fate of other middle-of-nowhere tracks like Jerez, Magny-Cours, etc.
3 of the top 10 largest cities in the US and >22 million people are within 180 miles of Austin.

It's certainly no NY, but if we're honest neither is anywhere else in the world.

Last edited by lib; 05-27-2010 at 02:40 PM.